home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Die Speccy' 97 / Die Speccy' 97.iso / amiga_system / the_aminet / comm / bbs / maxsbbsus.lha / MAX154 / TBM / Txt / prot.txt < prev    next >
Text File  |  1995-04-25  |  2KB  |  57 lines

3. A few notes on protocols:
  5.   Basically, you definitely want to use Zmodem if your software supports 
  7. it, no ifs, ands or buts.  Zmodem is a THIRD faster than Xmodem, which can 
  9. eventually mean some real bucks for long-distance/GEnie charges.  It also 
  11. means that if you're using Xmodem, you're only getting two-thirds of 
  13. up/download time on the board daily, instead of your whole hour.
  16.   While on the subject, make sure to try out different terminal programs if
  18. you're having problems with yours.  I used JR-Comm for about a year, but it
  20. had problems locking up if I aborted an upload, so I eventually tried NComm,
  22. and it works just smooth as silk.  
  25.   As far as error-checking goes, the older terminal programs didn't support
  27. the newer type of Zmodem protocol, with it's 99% error-check, so there were
  29. a few problems with corrupt downloads.  The newer programs have taken care
  31. of that, and you may very well never have a corrupted download.  If you do, 
  33. the file was most likely corrupt in the first place, in which case you should 
  35. notify the SysOp immediately.
  38.   Speaking of corrupt downloads, whereas mismatched protocols is probably
  40. the biggest culprit, certainly a close runner-up would be your own phone
  42. line.  If you're having many problems, run twisted, solid-core wire straight
  44. from the modem all the way to the main phone junction box outside the house.
  46. Yeah, it's okay to drill a hole through the wall, just don't tell anybody.
  49.   Okay..hope this has been of some help.  If you have any further thoughts
  51. or questions on protocols, let me know.
  54.                                           Benchie
  57. %Z